Dr. Waldman carefully evaluates every patient for the presence of Periodontal (Gum) Disease prior to treatment. Should any patient be diagnosed with periodontal disease, Dr. Waldman will recommend treatment prior to the initiation of any restorative or cosmetic procedures. The reason for this is simple. It is always best to build on a strong foundation! Since our gums and bones provide the foundation for our teeth, attempting to build a new smile on unhealthy gums is like to trying to build the CN Tower on a swamp!
New research shows a significant correlation in a number of systemic diseases that are now associated with periodontal disease. Our office is proud to offer some of the most current technologies available today for the treatment and maintenance of periodontal disease. Thus helping our patients to achieve better overall health.
These treatment modalities include the following:
- Periodontal Diode Laser Treatment:. This laser, used in the treatment of periodontal disease, can often replace some types of uncomfortable gum surgery. This makes for more comfortable treatment and faster healing sterilizing the infected areas of one’s gums while removing the biofilm that contributes to gingivitis.
- For more information on the use of the diode laser in periodontal treatment, please click on this link: http://www.carolwaldmandentistry.ca/services/laser-tech/
- ARESTIN® Localized Antibiotic Therapy: Arestin is the application of localized antibiotic to help heal areas infected due to the presence of periodontal pathogens: ARESTIN® contains microspheres- tiny particles that are smaller than grains of sand and are not visible to the eye. The microspheres are filled with the antibiotic minocycline hydrochloride. These microspheres release the antibiotic over time, killing bacteria so your gums can heal better than with regular scalings alone.
- Oravital®: The Oravital® System is completely safe, easy, non-invasive, and highly effective in the treatment of periodontal disease and bad breath. Oravital® Clinics know that in addition to examining the gums for bleeding and for pockets, the biofilm in the mouth must be checked for harmful bacteria. Once the infection is treated, the mouth begins to heal.
- Emdogain: Regenerative Treatment with Straumann Emdogain is designed to treat and reverse the effects of gum disease and gum recession naturally. In much the way stem cells work to generate new cell growth, Emdogain uses proteins which your body produces naturally to regenerate lost gum tissue, bone, and the structures that anchor teeth to bone. Emdogain is used in conjunction with periodontal surgery.