Cosmetic Dentists in North York
The cosmetic dentistry services available at our North York cosmetic dental office utilize the latest dental technologies to help you achieve the beautiful smile you have always dreamed of having. While the term “cosmetic dentistry” might seem rather straight-forward and simple to most, in all actuality, it can be a rather retailed process determining the best techniques and services required to achieve your overall smile makeover goals.
Depending upon your age, overall health and well-being, and extent of dental issues, there is a wide array of potential cosmetic services to restore and rejuvenate the look and appearance of your teeth and smile including:
- Orthodontics (Invisalign)
- Teeth Whitening
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Implants
- Dental Restorations
- Dental Bridges
- Dental Bonding
Several of the various treatments are used to transform existing teeth while preserving the actual, natural tooth structure. Other treatments, like implants, bridges, and dentures, are used when there is a need to replace one or more missing teeth.
Determining what cosmetic dentistry treatments you require starts with a detailed examination and regular cleaning. In addition, most patients prefer to have their existing teeth whitened prior to other cosmetic treatments because the materials used are matched to the existing colour of your teeth. Having the teeth whitened first, ensures any dental enhancements will look natural and blend easily with the new and brighter colour of the teeth.
North York Cosmetic Dentistry for Replacing Missing Teeth
As part of any cosmetic treatment, it is important to have missing teeth replaced for optimal results and to avoid shifting of the teeth beside the gap of the missing tooth. In cases where there is only a single tooth that needs to be replaced, a dental implant may work well. If you have several adjacent teeth that are missing, implants are even more necessary to avoid placing heavy stresses on the remaining teeth.
While the option of partial dentures exists, they are now considered a less desirable choice. Partial dentures use metal clips on the adjacent teeth to provide retention and help hold the denture in the mouth during speech and chewing. However these clips (some patients call them “hooks”) can cause further dental problems to these teeth over time, and actually result in the loss of even more teeth. Today modern methods involve the use of implants to replace missing teeth and to avoid stressing the remaining teeth.
Example of a Detailed Cosmetic Dentistry Treatment Plan
The following is an example of one potential treatment plan for achieving a stunning smile.
- Detailed exam, x-rays, and cleaning.
- Filling any existing cavities using tooth coloured composite resin fillings.
- Replacing any old fillings that are no longer secure.
- Whitening the teeth to the ideal colour if desired.
- Repairing broken and cracked teeth with dental crowns.
- Straightening the teeth with Invisalign or other orthodontic methods (depending on the severity of the misalignment of the teeth).
- Using porcelain restorations such as crowns or veneers to cover up misshapen teeth.
- Replacing any missing teeth.
- In addition, Dr. Waldman will carefully evaluate your smile and assess things such as if your smile is tipped to one side (canted), if your midlines are in the center of your face, if your arches are too narrow (resulting in dark areas between the lips and the teeth in the back teeth when smiling), lip positions and support as well as several other factors.
Again, keep in mind the actual treatments you require, can and will vary. To get started on your smile makeover, call the North York cosmetic dental office of Dr. Carol Waldman at 416.445.6000 to schedule your initial consultation appointment today!